Wintergreen Resort // Swing, Ski, Swim & Stay in a Serene Retreat
Beautifully situated on a Virginia mountainside, Wintergreen Resort accommodates guests with luxury rentals, family-friendly activities, year-round tennis, golf & sporting, and an unforgettable getaway.
Upon entering Wintergreen Resort, gorgeously displayed along 11,000 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains just southwest of Charlottesville, VA., guests can expect two pristine golf courses with 45 holes of championship golf, snowsport slopes and trails, 22 total tennis courts, exclusive parks and recreational areas, gourmet dining, and an overall enticing destination package. Looking for a ski lodge? Got it. What about a tennis getaway? Check. In need of spa services? Look no further. Yearning for dining options for various tastes? Sure thing. Searching for golf courses away from the grueling workplace among trees, nature & natural water? Covered. Well, you have a grasp for the draw to Wintergreen Resort, and we cannot wait to describe exactly what you’ll experience on your trip. Allow us to fill your itinerary for your Virginia visit!
Wintergreen Resort’s tennis program skims the surface of their available amenities, but, let’s start with the basics. Identified as one of the nation’s top 50 tennis resorts by Tennis Magazine and the #1 resort for family, and even one of the top 25 tennis resorts in the world, Wintergreen Tennis isn’t something to just notice in passing. 22 courts gorgeously placed on the mountain at Devils Knob and in the valley at Stoney Creek entice even the athlete who has never picked up a racket. And, while you’re at it, check out all of their programs, for beginners all the way to world class competitors. With 19 outdoor clay courts among natural surroundings and three indoor hard courts, your needs can certainly be met, all in one location. Wintergreen Tennis Academy, with two full-time staff members, provides first-class training and on-court instruction that will encompass all aspects of tennis, including the mental dynamic, doubles strategies and positioning, aggressive play, tactics, and more! Academy guests look forward to any of the following:
- A 35% discount on their lodging April-November, or a 20% discount on their lodging December-March. Call 800-266-2444.
- Club members receive a 20% discount and their accompanied guests are eligible for a 10% discount
- All past Academy participants receive a 10% discount
- Bring 11 friends and the 12th person is free
For guests not planning to join the academy, don’t look away just yet. From the Summer Weekend Stroke and Strategy Academy to private lessons, Wintergreen boasts it all! Here’s an extensive list of programs, grouped by adults and juniors.
Summer Weekend Stroke & Strategy Academy
- $330 per person (weekends, 9 hours group instruction, 1/2 hour private lesson per person, unlimited use of the ball machine, complimentary use of outdoor courts);
- Fridays 2-5 pm; Saturdays 10 am-12 pm, 2-4 pm; Sunday 10 am-12 pm; May-October sessions
Build Your Own Mid-Week Tennis Academy
- Minimum 2 participants; Minimum 3 hours; $27.5 per person, per hour of instruction
- 35% off best available room rate
- Monday-Thursday; Available every month except June, July, and August; Not available during holiday weeks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas
Summer Midweek Stroke & Strategy Academy
- $415 per person (midweek, 12 hours group instruction, 1/2 hour private lesson per person, unlimited use of the ball machine, complimentary use of outdoor courts)
- Tuesdays 2-4 pm; Wednesday and Thursday 10 am-12 pm and 2-4 pm, Friday 10 am-12 pm; July-September sessions
- Nike Tennis Camps
- Skill Development; Emotional & Mental Training; Individualized Instruction; Team Competition; Footwork, Fitness, and Agility Training; Supervised match play; Camp T-shirt
- Day: $590; Extended Day: $680; Overnight: $995
- June- August Sessions
- After School Junior Tennis Academy
- Future Stars (ages 6-10); Varsity Class (ages 11-18); 2 sessions, each session is 5 weeks (10 classes)
- $150 per player I. March 28 – April 27, 2016 II. May 9 – June 8, 2016
- Future Stars: 4-5 pm Mondays and Wednesdays; High School Prep: 5-6 pm Mondays and Wednesdays
- Junior Tennis & Golf Camp
- Held weekly during the summer (June-August,) Monday through Thursday; Tennis instruction by a USPTA or PTR Professional; Golf instruction by a PGA Professional; Small Student to Teacher Ratio; Learn rules and etiquette; Develop eye/hand coordination, fitness, and agility; Improve tennis stroke production and court movement through fun games and drills; Golf skills instruction covering putting, pitching, and bunker play; Lunch included
- 9-11am tennis; 11am-12pm lunch/pool; 12-2pm golf; $329 for all week or $89 daily
Lessons and Clinics available throughout the year:
- Private Lessons ($80/$70)
- Advanced Workout (4.0 players and higher – $40)
This 90 minute class is for adults and tournament level juniors who want to experience a college style workout. Through a combination of pro fed, “live ball”, and competitive drills, your court movement, shot selection, concentration, and fitness will elevate to a higher level.
- Drills for Skills ($25)
One hour of cutting edge drills designed to improve your stroke production and competitive ability – themed after the Stroke of the Day.
- Cardio Tennis ($25)
One hour of heart pumping activity designed for beginner and advanced players. Drills are designed to promote improved stroke production, speed, and agility, while constantly keeping your heart rate at an elevated but comfortable level. Personal heart rate monitors are recommended if you have one.
- Matchplay Madness ($40)
This 90 minute clinic offers 3.0 players and above the opportunity to work on the strategic parts of their game. Wintergreen’s tennis staff will coach and/or join you in singles or doubles matchplay. Court positioning, strategy, and the mental side of the game are the focus of this session.
- Junior Clinic ($25)
Juniors (ages 7-14) will focus on stroke production, court movement, and fun games in this 1 hour session.
- Mighty Mites ($22)
Children (ages 4-6) will learn the FUNdamentals of tracking, eye hand coordination, and basic tennis skills with a low teacher/student ratio.
- Indoor court fees range from $35/hour to $45/hour, depending on day and season, while outdoor fees range from $22/hour to $26/hour, depending on day and season.
Once you plan your tennis retreat, two top-notch golf courses await. Devils Knob Golf Course, rated one of Virginia’s top courses, is the highest course in the state, at 3,850 feet. With views of Shenandoah and Rockfish Valleys, a spacious clubhouse, golf shop, locker room, dining, snack shop, this course certainly deserves a tee-time. At Stoney Creek Golf Course, you can play 27 holes on this par-72 course and enjoy a spacious clubhouse, golf shop, locker room, dining and snack shop. Multiple tees on each hole allow for enjoyment for any level, and year-round views of the Blue Ridge Mountains truly mark this course as a must-do. The Wintergreen Golf Academy offers private and semi-private lessons for adults and children along with short game clinics, including pitching, chipping, bunker shots, lob shots, putting and equipment evaluation. Put your skills to the test with V-1, a teaching tool that combines video technology and biomechanics with individual golf instruction. For junior golfers, there are clinics for ages 7-14, focusing on the fundamentals, as well as the junior tennis/golf program out of Stoney Creek from June-August. Nike Junior Golf Camps line the summer for beginner through tournament players, with options including a weeklong overnight camp, extended day camp, or day camp. Something to note: July is Family Golf Month: During July, the “Try 3” family program will be relabeled “Try 3, kids are FREE” and the Family Fun 9 program will include a FREE golf clinic! Plus, don’t forget about the Mom, Dad & Me Golf Lesson ($75.) Invaluable golf memories created at Wintergreen pinpoint one more reason why their resort trumps competition.
After a full day of tennis and golf, resort guests can settle down at The Spa at Wintergreen, with services including massages, body wraps, skincare treatments, youth spa and salon programs, and more package options. A full menu and pricing options can be found at the link above.
If you’re still yearning for more activities to add to the itinerary, Lake Monacan Park, a 20-acre lake in Stoney Creek, features boating, biking and a floating trampoline. A sand beach and picnic areas ensure a location that can be enjoyed for a short walk or a full day of outdoor adventure. Discovery Ridge Adventure Center creates a one-of-a-kind experience, with adrenaline-pumping activities such as bungee trampoline, climbing wall, indoor facility with X Box 362s, Wiis, pool table, football, air hockey, and even a mechanical bull! To top it off, an 18-hole mini-golf is available at the center. The Zip, a 900 foot zipline that can reach speeds up to 35mph, The Plunge, with wintertime and summer tubing options, and Hiking along 30 miles of marked trails spread throughout the grounds. The Aquatics and Fitness Center allows for every guest to incorporate their own idea of workout and relaxation together. A 12-station strength and conditioning circuit with free weights, cardio equipment, indoor and outdoor pool and hot tubs, private steam rooms and saunas, and group fitness classes encompass even more opportunities for the whole family. Children’s Programs are available at The Treehouse, with activities and camps for ages 2 1/2 to 12, as well as babysitting services.
For dining, The Copper Mine Bistro serves traditional breakfasts followed by an innovative Mediterranean menu at dinner; Devils Grill Restaurant and Lounge, located at the golf course, features breathtaking views in an elegant atmosphere; Stoney Creek Bar & Grill offers golf course views among a “neighborhood” atmosphere with American fare; The Edge Restaurant creates casual dining among the mountainside with live entertainment, television sets, and group dining options; The Market at Wintergreen Resort, newly designed, specializes in custom sandwiches and salads, fresh, bakes goods and pizzas along with snacks of many variations.
But, we can’t forget their snowsports! This side of the resort is what sets Wintergreen apart from the rest! Winter skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing and ice skating among 24 sloes and trails, 14 slopes for night skiing, snowmaking machines, two terrain parks, and five chairlifts (2 high-speed, six-passenger chairlifts.) The Plunge and Ridgely’s Fun Park, made for children to play in the snow and experience a lighter tubing experience , along with Snowsports School, Wintergreen Adaptive Sports and Shamokin Ice, a 45 x 90 foot rink for up to 60 skaters incorporates an activity for any skill level or recreational desire. Private and Group lessons, clinics, programs, camps and the like are available for all snowsports. Check out those options HERE.
For lodging options, 230 villa-style condominiums and rental homes, from studio suites to seven-bedroom homes offer ample space to work, play and retreat. Fully equipped kitchens, comfortable living space, fireplaces and balconies are only some of the features you have to look forward to. Once settled into your humble abode on the gorgeous mountainside, overlooking the terrain and natural surroundings you just finished hiking on, gliding along, and swinging around, you will recognize the appeal that Wintergreen Resort has for all guests and want to begin booking your next stay right away.
To reach Wintergreen Resort, visit their website at www.wintergreenresort.com or call them at one of these numbers below, depending on your needs:
General Information: 434-325-2200,
Overnight Reservations: 888-329-5828,
Meeting and Conference Sales: 800-273-3390.
*All images and information credit to Wintergreen Resort and Hunter PR team.
Submit your review