Newman Tennis Center // Public Facility with High Quality Tennis in the Home of The Masters
In the heart of Augusta, GA, Newman Tennis Center’s expansive layout and well-kept courts create a welcoming atmosphere for all visitors.
Upon entering Newman Tennis Center, you immediately take notice of the well-kept, brick pro shop building set on a hill with the vast tennis courts and practice walls surrounding the building. Three full time teaching pros and a staff with a wealth of tennis knowledge ensure the center offers a wide variety of tennis programs and match play for every guest. With 18 courts and two practice walls that draw up to 15 tournaments annually, and weekly play options, you are sure to find the perfect option to fit your needs.
Located conveniently in the heart of the home of The Masters, next to Augusta University and so close to downtown and other recreational centers, Newman Tennis Center draws attention from everyone who enters the city. With abundant tennis options and features at Newman, you can always find a program, team or evening play option with a guest or member of the Augusta tennis community. Junior programs, adult and junior lessons, adult clinics, summer camps and so much more are offered at this public facility that’s centrally located and packed with options.
Membership is an option for Newman Tennis Center, owned by the Augusta Recreation and Parks Department. Rates and pricing ranges from the following options:
- Individual: $30 monthly/ $360 annually
- Family: $35 monthly/ $420 annually
- Student: $15 monthly/ $180 annually
- Senior: $20 monthly/ $240 annually
- Corp. Fam: $20 monthly/ $240 annually
- Corp. Individual: $17 monthly/ $204 annually
Membership ensures unlimited use of the courts during regular hours, reduced lesson, clinic, socials, and ball machine rental rates, ability to reserve courts 24 hours in advance, no light fees, along with 3, 6, & 12 month payment options. How could a membership not pay for itself at Newman?
Guests can absolutely enjoy Newman for the following hourly rates:
- $3/hour for adults during the day; $3.50/hour in the evening
- $1.50 for students with ID during the day; $2 for students in the evening
- Fridays: free play from 9am-12pm!
For juniors, The After School Tennis Program and junior clinics encompass all the features of an academy at the perfect spot for your friends, family and classmates! The programs feature all age groups and skill levels with the following available programming rates. (1 month free membership with pre-paid clinic bonus and even multiple children at a reduced cost!)
- Mighty Mites: Ages 4-5: Tuesday/Thursday 5-5:30pm
- 6 week program: 1 day per week: $52 per child or $10 per clinic or 2 days per week: $90 per child or $10 per clinic
- Tiny Tots: Ages 6-8: Tuesday/ Thursday 5:30-6:15pm
- 6 week program: 1 day per week: $72 per child or $15 per clinic or 2 days per week: $105 per child or $15 per clinic
- Futures: Ages 9-12: Monday/ Wednesday 5-6pm
- 6 week program: 1 day per week: $75 per child or $15 per clinic or 2 days per week: $120 per child or $15 per clinic
- Challengers: Ages 13 & Up: Monday/Wednesday 5:30-7pm
- 6 week program: 1 day per week: $105 per child or $20 per clinic or 2 days per week: $180 per child or $20 per clinic
Summer camps entice tennis tots as well, which run for 8-10 weeks during May, June and July for players starting at age 5. Full days campers enjoy the Aquatic Center across the street while half day campers simply utilize the tennis courts. Junior Team Tennis also runs through Newman and attracts quite the crowd, as they have at least one team per each age division competing during the season. Home School Drills also run through Newman on Thursday mornings. 5-7 year olds play from 9:30-10am, and 9 & up play from 10-11am with multiple pros on court to instruct.
Augusta University, a DII athletics program, and several local public and private middle and high schools call Newman Tennis Center their home courts throughout their seasons.
Adults also enjoy programming at Newman, with a complete package of skill levels and drill types available daily. Here’s what’s currently available:
- Adult QuickStart Program (Beginners)
- Mondays: 6:30-8pm; 6 lessons for $60 or $12 per class for members or $15 for guests
- Men’s Competitive Drill and Play (3.0-4.5 level/ 18 and up)
- Tuesday/Thursday: 6:30-8pm; $12/class for members or $15/class for guests
- Women’s Group Clinics (3.0-4.5 level/ 18 and up)
- Tuesday/ Thursday: 6:30-8pm; $12/class for members or $15/class for guests
- Women’s B and C Team Clinic (Membership required to be on Tennis Team)
- Wednesday 9-10am (Summer): $12/class
- Wednesday 9-11am (Spring): $12/class
Social events line the month on Wednesday nights with round robin play from 6:30-8pm, which as free to members and $5 for guests. Recently introduced Pickleball socials on the third Tuesday of each month from 6:30-8pm creates a lively atmosphere with food, drinks and music heard throughout the center. Monthly mixers entice everyone in town to grab a racket and hit the courts!
10-15 adult teams can be seen competing each season, which offers a variety of friends and teammates available in Augusta! The Center is planning its own Newman League for this fall, which will run once per week for both members and guests. Be sure to check out the action as soon as it begins! Also offered throughout Augusta is the Central Savannah River Association (CSRA) Tennis League. They feature a ladies league through Newman on Thursday and Friday mornings along with the available programming to go along with match play. The CTA is CSRTA, and the center partners with them for every league as well.
Tournaments take over the year with 10-15 available tournaments played annually. They hosted the GA State Mixed Doubles Championships for Adults in August this year along with several junior tournaments ranging from L2 and L3 Georgia to L3 Southern to L4 National events! The GA State Junior Closed tournament for Boys and Girls 10s-18s compete in October at Newman as well.
If private/semi private lessons are of interest, check out Newman’s affordable price options with one of their skilled tennis professionals:
- 1 Hour: $45/member; $48/non-member
- 30 minutes: $23/member; $24/non-member
- 10 hours: $430/member; $460/non-member
- 1 Hour: $22 each for members; $25 each for non-members
- 30 minutes: $14 each for members; $16 each for non-members
Karen Ard, Programming Coordinator and Margaret Faughnan, Facility Director, both described Newman Tennis Center as a center that prides itself on their customer service and progressional attitude. The low cost of available programming and play drives guests all day, and Newman is the only public facility with city employees who seriously love their time around tennis!
Visiting Augusta, GA year-round boasts incredible views each season. The Masters week draws incredible crowds of national and international fans, and tennis definitely heats up that week as week, as Newman is only five minutes from Augusta National. On a regular basis, Augusta’s downtown is just under 10 minutes from Newman, with close-knit shopping and restaurants. There’s abundant golf course options, bike trails, water sport options, boat races, and nature trails lining the city. First Fridays downtown attracts countless community members with restaurants, shops and bars thriving during this event! The Augusta Mall is right down the street, and Augusta Airport or Daniel Field private airport are incredibly close as well. Conveniently located off of I-20 and 520 (Bobby Jones Expressway) and only 10 minutes from the South Carolina border, Newman Tennis Center’s attracts year-round traffic that you should definitely see in action! Let us know how much you enjoyed your visit to Augusta and Newman Tennis Center by reviewing the center below!
To reach Newman Tennis Center, visit their website at http://www.augustaga.gov/771/Newman-Tennis-Center or call them at 706-821-1600.
(Closed July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, & New Years)
REVIEW NEWMAN TENNIS CENTER BELOW (click “create your own review):
You have to see it to believe. Wish I had a place like IMG Academy available to me when I was younger. As a parent this in an amazing place to send your kid to put them in a position to achieve their goals.
Submit your review