IMG Academy // The Original Sports Boarding Academy Continues to Gain Traction Among its Athletics & Academics
As the world’s leader, IMG Academy sets the standard for sport training and programming, and they continue to grow and excel ahead of the competition.
Located in Bradenton FL, IMG Academy invented the foundation and concept “sports boarding academy,” and they’re still passionate about improving the industry and creating the most influential and largest program in the world. The results prove that their system works, and IMG has produced hundreds of high level collegiate and professional athletes in all of their available sports. The premier IMG Academy Tennis Program sees impressive results among juniors, college athletes and top WTA and ATP players. With results that speak for themselves, let Tennis Itinerary introduce this 55 court facility (4 covered, 17 clay, 34 hard) that continues to gain traction from around the world.
IMG Academy specializes in many areas, namely athletics, education and overall training. With thousands of guests on campus daily, including full-time students, prospective athletes, adult league players, world class professionals, and anything in between, IMG Academy staff members pride themselves on providing the highest quality and level of instruction. The layout of campus includes over 500 acres inclusive of more than 20 multi-sport fields, a 5,000-seat stadium, an 18-hole golf course, two basketball gymnasiums, a 10,000 square foot weight room, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) and, of course, their tennis facilities.
IMG sports include tennis, golf, basketball, football, track & field, baseball, lacrosse, soccer and performance. Delve straight into their full-time boarding program, with on-campus housing, schooling, training, competition and physical development, or participate on a shorter basis at the Academy through any of the week-long or seasonal camps and clinic options. The curriculum and college planning at IMG Academy matches the criteria that every student-athlete searches for among their other local schools. The only difference? Your training on the court and on the field exceeds the regimens at other academies and programs, bar none.
Training begins with over 50 full time tennis instructors, with that number fluctuating based on travel and the season. The experience and strength of the staff sets the standard, as dozens of instructors have competed at the college or professional level. The program was originally founded by Nick Bollettieri in 1978, and, with an experienced team of coaches, the program has since grown and evolved immensely. Through the innovative instruction model introduced by Bollettieri, the program has seen 10 #1 ATP/WTA touring professionals on the circuit, and his influence is still honored today. As he’s still active at the Academy, Bollettieri’s noted passion for the students and staff, and for the game of tennis, is shared by the team overseeing the program to this day.
Rohan Goetzke, Director of Tennis, oversees all aspects of the tennis program and maintains that legacy throughout the program. With incredible knowledge of the game and regarding programming, Goetzke understands that IMG Academy gives its athletes “the best chance to be successful.” His mission remains to grow the strength of IMG around the world and provide an innovative program that will continue to develop champions into the future.
“We are training our students how to win and, more importantly, how to be better people. We are constantly raising our level, bringing in top juniors, and developing them into top ATP/WTA touring pros and successful collegiate competitors, which is a sign of a healthy program. With champions like Kei Nishikori on tour today, or Danielle Collins who won two of the last three NCAA singles national titles, you can see that the program is continuing to help players maximize their potential. We do have a big academy, but we still keep a small ratio of 4:1. We bring in additional coaches to accommodate our numbers and even offer ‘special help,’ or 1:1 programming. We pride ourselves on our size and believe it’s a big positive because there is such diversity among the types of players, skill levels and cultures you may encounter on the courts here.”
Let us introduce the programming options for IMG Academy’s tennis programming, which can also be found online HERE:
- Tennis Boarding School Program:
- Pre-K – 12th plus post-graduate offerings; small, personalized class sizes
- Morning or afternoon athletic sessions: on-court training (drills & match play); video analysis; physical and mental toughness training off-court
- 12 years old & above to board; residence halls separated by gender and age
- On-campus College Planning & Placement Center – coordinating recruiting efforts in compliance with NCAA eligibility rules & contact with over 200 college coaches
- Over 1,000 full-time students (over 220 tennis students); 30+ countries represented
- Bollettieri Tennis Camps:
- Year-round & Summer weekly camps:
- Sunday-Saturday, every week of the year for ages 8 and above
- Sport only (full day of athletics) or Sport + ESL (Enhances speaking, writing, listening & grammar skills) – 1/2 day athletics, 1/2 day education/classroom work
- Choose from CORE, TOTAL ATHLETE, or GAME CHANGER
- CORE: Sport instruction, group physical conditioning, group mental conditioning, college recruiting education (grades 8th and above)
- TOTAL ATHLETE: All of the above PLUS mental toughness, nutrition, speed/movement/balance, leadership training, and vision/reaction
- GAME CHANGER: All of the above PLUS 1 on 1 or small group training
- Year-round & Summer multi-week camps:
- 3 weeks: 8-12 year olds – CORE, TOTAL ATHLETE, or GAME CHANGER
- 5 weeks: 11-13 year olds; 14-16 year olds; 17-19 year olds – CORE or TOTAL ATHLETE; Summer School also available
- Holiday & Speciality camps:
- Tournament Prep Camps (Orange Bowl/ Eddie Herr): Ages 8 and above
- Holiday Skills Camp: Ages 8 and above; December dates
- Spring Break Camp: Ages 8 and above; March- April dates
- Year-round & Summer weekly camps:
- Team Training:
- Bring your team to sunny Florida to utilize the IMG facilities, take advantage of their on-campus and off site accommodations, tough competition, inclusive training sites, and flexible training packages
- Pro/College Training:
- Reach your goals & your potential among dozens of others who have joined the IMG Academy family. Their proven results will take your game and training to the next level, whether you’re a tennis player or involved in the other available Academy sports
- Adult/ Family Programming:
- Become involved in the tennis, golf, performance or ESL (Communications, English or Customizable) available programming. Interact with others who are visiting during a corporate trip, residing in Florida on a seasonal basis, or just beginning to pick up the game as a local.
Known as the innovator of full time academy programming, IMG Academy and the tennis program have grown to be a household name, whether you’re a player or simply a spectator. Don’t be intimidated with the depth of the Academy because they will offer a program that’s custom- fit and tailored specifically to your needs. If the above sessions and programs do not completely satisfy or fulfill your on-court needs, IMG Academy allows you to customize your clinics right on their website HERE, over the phone, or in-person. They are happy to assist you with your requests. Whether you envision your game excelling for years to come or you just want to test the playing field, IMG Academy should be a contender on your next tennis itinerary.
“As a junior player, I frequently visited IMG Academy, due to having a childhood best friend training full time with the Bollettieri program. Having seen the academy from an outsider, from a spectator, from a camper, and now for my career, I have been a witness to the drastic growth and evolution of the campus and the entire academy. I was absolutely amazed with the expansions and updates of the campus, including the school, housing, dining facility, workout and training facilities, and even the overall vibe. Walking onto the IMG Academy campus, you immediately feel like you’re part of a top-notch program that also includes a beautiful academic campus. Students are not segregated based on their sport, and all IMG programming complements the others. Whether you’re a first-time summer camper hoping to excel on your local team or an international player vying for the top seed in the next ITF event, IMG Academy offers a customizable program perfect for your commitment and skill level.”
Notable attendees of IMG Academy include but are not limited to Andre Agassi, Venus & Serena Williams, Jim Courier, Kei Nishikori, Maria Sharapova, and dozens of other trainees and alumni in various sports. According to IMG, they have “earn[ed] 133 all-star spots, 3 Heisman trophies, 108 major championship titles, 63 MVP awards, 17 national titles, 29 world championship titles, and 49 Olympic medals over the course of 35+ years, our alumni and trainees continue to change the sports world as we know it.”
Also located on campus is The Wellness Spa, which offers a full-service salon, massages, spa packages, and so much more. Relax in the therapeutic studio before stepping outside into the IMG Academy pool, located walking distance from the spa, training facilities and more. Not only are there on-campus housing for campers and students, but you can also look into any of the other on and off campus lodging available for rent and for purchase HERE.
Situated just 20 minutes from Anna Maria Island, 15 minutes from Downtown Bradenton, and under 30 minutes to Sarasota beaches, Downtown and St. Armand’s Circle, you’re in the center of the attractions. The Sarasota-Bradenton Airport is a short 15 minute commute, so you’ll easily be able to attend to your upcoming itinerary from IMG’s campus. Your next itinerary could include the specialized training, memorable programming, and world class tennis of IMG Academy in Bradenton. Tell us all about your IMG Academy experiences in the Reviews below.
To reach IMG Academy, visit their website at https://www.imgacademy.com or call them at 941-755-1000.
REVIEW WESTON TENNIS CENTER BELOW (click “create your own review):
Submit your review
You have to see it to believe. Wish I had a place like IMG Academy available to me when I was younger. As a parent this in an amazing place to send your kid to put them in a position to achieve their goals.